Formula 1 World Championship

Gentleman

ALONSO TO LEAVE F1 AFTER 2018

McLaren has confirmed that Fernando Alonso will leave Formula 1 following the 2018 season. the Spaniard made his debut back in 2001 for Minardi before going on to secure two world championships with Renault.

The 37-year-old is widely regarded as one of the greatest drivers the sport has ever seen, picking up 32 wins and 97 podiums. His future has been debated for many months, and now it has been confirmed that he will depart the sport following the 2018 season.

"After 17 wonderful years in this amazing sport, it’s time for me to make a change and move on. I have enjoyed every single minute of those incredible seasons and I cannot thank enough the people who have contributed to make them all so special.

“There are still several Grands Prix to go this season, and I will take part in them with more commitment and passion than ever. Let’s see what the future brings; new exciting challenges are around the corner. I’m having one of the happiest times ever in my life but I need to go on exploring new adventures."

Alonso first ventured away from the sport during the 2017 season, when he skipped the Monaco Grand Prix in favour of the Indianapolis 500. The double-world champion has not had a competitive car in F1 in many years, and has not won a race since 2013

Following his championship winning years at Renault, Alonso joined McLaren for a year. After falling out with the team, he returned to Renault for two seasons, before getting the call from Ferrari.

However, a championship with the Scuderia never surfaced, and he left the Maranello-based squad in 2014. He re-joined McLaren in search of a new challenge, but endured three painful years as Honda, who ran as McLaren's engine supplier, failed to produce a competitive and reliable engine.

McLaren paired up with Renault for the 2018 season, but it hasn't been enough for the Woking squad. The team is still far behind the front-runners, which has led Alonso to leave in search of a fresh adventure.

McLaren's CEO Zak Brown says that the team respect his decision and has labelled him a great ambassador for McLaren and F1: “Fernando is not only an outstanding ambassador for McLaren but also for Formula 1. His 17 years in the sport, as arguably the pre-eminent driver of his generation and undoubtedly an F1 great, have added another layer to Formula 1’s rich history.

“There is a time for everyone to make a change and Fernando has decided the end of this season to be his. We respect his decision, even if we believe he is in the finest form of his career. Our open dialogue with Fernando has meant we could plan for this eventuality.

“While evaluating his future during the past months, Fernando’s competitiveness has been undimmed. He has continued to perform at the highest level throughout, as we know he will do in the remaining nine races of this year’s championship.

“I know that the entire team joins me in paying tribute to Fernando’s enormous contribution to McLaren; he is a legend both for the championship and for the team. Fernando is an important part of our story and will join an illustrious line of McLaren drivers. On behalf of Shaikh Mohammed, Mansour and our entire board, we wish Fernando every success in the future.”

Alonso added: “I want to thank everyone at McLaren. My heart is with the team forever. I know they will come back stronger and better in the future and it could be the right moment for me to be back in the series; that would make me really happy. I have built so many great relationships with many fantastic people at McLaren, and they have given me the opportunity to broaden my horizons and race in other categories. I feel I am a more complete driver now than ever.

:( É pena, ainda tem mãozinhas para lutar por lugares de topo com um carro minimamente competitivo.

Carlos Sainz confirmado na McLaren no lugar de Fernando Alonso

A McLaren confirmou esta quinta-feira que Carlos Sainz Jr vai ocupar o lugar que Fernando Alonso vai deixar vago no final da temporada na equipa de Fórmula 1.
Sainz surgiu como favorito na McLaren após a equipa analisar as opções para 2019, depois de ter sido revelada a saída de Fernando Alonso.
“Estamos muito felizes por poder contar com o Carlos na próxima temporada”, afirmou o presidente da McLaren, Zak Brown.

Para o responsável máximo da equipa de Woking, “Carlos Sainz Jr vai trazer à equipa uma mistura perfeita de juventude e experiência. Embora ele tenha apenas 23 anos de idade, vai já para a sua quinta temporada na Fórmula 1 e vai trazer consigo à equipa toda a sua experiência com a Renault”.

Já Carlos Sainz não escondeu estar bastante motivado para o novo desafio: “ “Estou muito feliz por finalmente poder confirmar que serei piloto da McLaren na temporada de 2019. Estou por isso muito motivado com este próximo passo da minha carreira”.

A escuderia inglesa não confirmou se o belga Stoffel Vandoorne, 16.º posicionado no Mundial de 2018, se vai manter como piloto na próxima época, remetendo para um “momento oportuno” a divulgação da composição da equipa.

• 2 weeks later...

O gajo trava e o drs não fechou. O Kimi teve um problema parecido na corrida anterior em que o drs ficou sempre aberto.

Edited by DG
  • Like 1

Muito boa corrida, batalha épica do Kimi sozinho contra os 2 Mercedes foi excelente, não admira que os pneus não aguentassem na parte final. 
-Não acho que o Vettel tenha razão de queixa contra o Hamilton
-Verstappen mostrou novamente que ainda é um garoto
-O motor spec C da Renault a mostrar o que se pensava, pouco acrescentou em potência e deu o pifo rápidamente
-Alonso não tem sorte nenhuma... 

Grande corrida :y:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...