Forza Motorsport 7

Jokeman

The Forza Motorsport 7 download will be 'a bit smaller' than 100GB

Install size is still expected to be 100GB, however.

It was reported in June that the Xbox One X version of Forza Motorsport 7, with those gorgeous 4K textures, will be a whopping 100GB download. For people with any kind of data cap, that's bad news: In my case, it represents almost half of my total monthly allocation. The situation appeared to be the same for the PC, as the Windows Store app in Win10 lists an "approximate size" of 99GB. But that doesn't necessarily reflect the actual download size.   

"The team is expecting the install size to be 100GB, with the download size being a bit smaller," a rep said. The exact size of the download hasn't actually been nailed down yet, although the rep added that the developers have put "a continued focus on improvements to download experiences." Beyond that, however, "we have nothing new to announce at this time." 

Further complicating the situation is that unlike consoles, different PCs have different capabilities, and not everyone is going to want to (or be able to) play it at 4K. Unfortunately, the question of whether Microsoft will require everyone to download 4K textures regardless of their ability to actually use them, or if it will make them available as a separate, optional download, went unanswered.   

Bottom line, Forza Motorsport 7 is going to be a big download, but just how big we will have to wait and see. It comes out on October 3. Lay your eyes on the system requirements right here

Forza Motorsports 7 system requirements updated, PC demo on the way

Turn 10 says it's working to make the game playable on a wide range of PCs.

Microsoft revealed the system requirements for the PC version of Forza Motorsport 7 back in January, and the required hardware at the low end of the scale was actually pretty reasonable. Today developer Turn 10 announced them again, but this time in much greater detail (including an estimate of the performance you can expect from different builds), and also confirmed that a Windows 10 demo will be available prior to the game's release. 

"We’ve built Forza Motorsport 7 from the ground up to be the ultimate PC racing game, with native 4K resolution and unlocked framerate on high-end Windows 10 PCs, Xbox Play Anywhere and cross-play functionality, as well as support for multiple monitors, 21:9 displays and numerous peripherals," the studio said.

"Forza Motorsport 7 was designed to run smoothly across a wide range of Windows 10 PCs and performance settings. Not only have we lowered our minimum specifications to i5-750, we’ve also reduced our recommended specifications while still having the game run at a rock solid 60 frames per second. Even gamers with a Surface Book 4 or other budget-friendly gaming PC can play the game." 

I'm not clear on how exactly the minimum requirement has been lowered, since the "low" spec is identical to what we listed as the minimum in June. In any event, here are the numbers: 

Low (720p, 30 fps):

• CPU: Intel Core i5-750 2.67GHz or AMD FX-6300
  • RAM: 8GB
  • GPU: Nvidia GT 740/GTX 650 or AMD R7 250X with 2GB RAM  

Recommended (1080p, 60 fps)

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz or AMD FX-8350
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 670/GTX 1050 or AMD RX 560 with 4GB RAM

Ultra (4K, 60 fps)

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz or AMD Ryzen 7
  • RAM: 16GB
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 or AMD RX Vega 64 with 8GB RAM 

Ultrabook (mobile—720p, 30 fps)

• CPU: Core i5-6200U or better
  • GPU: Intel HD 520 (integrated) or better  

The PC version of the game will also offer support for 21:9 monitors, 8x MSAA and 16x anisotropic filtering, a benchmark mode, and compatibility with more than 30 gamepads and wheels, "including every fan-requested wheel on the market."

• Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller
  • Microsoft Xbox One Controller
  • Microsoft Xbox One Elite Controller
  • Microsoft Xbox One S/X Controller
  • Sony Dual Shock 4
  • Fanatec CSR
  • Fanatec CSR Elite
  • Fanatec ClubSport V2
  • Fanatec ClubSport V1
  • Fanatec CSL
  • Fanatec ClubSport V2.5
  • Logitech G29
  • Logitech Driving Force Pro
  • Logitech G25
  • Logitech Driving Force GT
  • Logitech G27
  • Logitech MOMO
  • Logitech G920
  • Thrustmaster RGT
  • Thrustmaster T100
  • Thrustmaster T500 RS
  • Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari
  • Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari GTE
  • Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari Int
  • Thrustmaster T300 RS
  • Thrustmaster T300 RS GT
  • Thrustmaster T150
  • Thrustmaster T150 Pro
  • Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer
  • Thrustmaster TX 458
  • Thrustmaster TX Leather
  • Thrustmaster 458 Spider
  • Thrustmaster TMX
  • Thrustmaster TMX Pro
  • Thrustmaster TS-Xbox
  • Mad Catz Pro

The demo is expected to be out in "the coming weeks," while Forza Motorsport 7 itself is set for release on October 3. It will be, in a very literal sense, huge.

• 5 weeks later...