Angelina Jolie reveals she has had preventive double mastectomy

loki

Angelina-Jolie-010.jpg

Angelina Jolie reveals she has had preventive double mastectomy

Actor reveals she has had mastectomy because of gene defect that increases risk of developing cancer that killed her mother

Angelina Jolie has revealed she has had a preventive double mastectomy to reduce her risk of developing breast cancer, and has gone public with the news to raise awareness.

The actor has a defective gene, BRCA1, which significantly increases her risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer, she writes in the New York Times. The latter disease killed her mother at the age of 56.

Jolie says she chose not to keep the decision private in the hope that other women would get gene-tested. "Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimise the risk," she says.

Women with a defect in BRCA1 have on average a 65% risk of developing breast cancer. Jolie says her doctors told her that her risk was 87% and that surgery had reduced it to 5%. The defect also increases the risk of ovarian cancer, which Jolie says doctors estimate is 50% for her.

The 37-year-old, who has six children – three by Brad Pitt and three adopted – finished three months of medical procedures on 27 April. She says she first had "nipple delay" to maximise the chances of saving her nipples, before breast tissue removal and, nine weeks later, reconstruction. Pitt was by her side for "every minute of the surgeries", she said.

Jolie said her children had often asked if she might die of cancer like her mother, Marcheline Bertrand. She says now: "I can tell my children that they don't need to fear they will lose me to breast cancer.

"It is reassuring that they see nothing that makes them uncomfortable. They can see my small scars and that's it. Everything else is just Mommy, the same as she always was."

Jolie adds: "I want to encourage every woman, especially if you have a family history of breast or ovarian cancer, to seek out the information and medical experts who can help you through this aspect of your life, and to make your own informed choices."

:shuif:

Edited by loki

Not really.

Ela não é a mesma que era há, digamos, 10 anos. Nessa altura sim, tinha sido mais relevante para a carreira dela.

Não ficou à espera de ser diagnosticada um dia destes e decidiu agir já. Good for her. Agora é esperar para ver se resultou.

• Like 3