2011 Tech Year in Review; Prognósticos 2012

Perks

Bem, vou usar este tópico para colocar isto aqui porque refere indirectamente à separação da Ericsson com a Sony e o comeback da primeira:

Video claro para promover a imagem da Ericsson, apesar de só recorrer à história. Não deixa de estar muito bom e volta a fazer olhar para a marca Ericsson só.

Google y LG podrían unirse para lanzar un Nexus TV

lggoogletv.jpeg

La rumorología está en marcha y a toda máquina. Si hace unos días os hablábamos sobre los planes que diversas compañías tenían sobre presentar sus ofertas para Google TV en el CES de Las Vegas, hoy nos despertamos con un rumor —por el momento no podemos considerarlo como noticia— que afirma que Google y LG podrían unirse esta vez para sacar un Nexus TV.

En el pasado se hablaba de que la fabricación de un nuevo Nexus —por aquel entonces el tercero, que al final resultó ser el Galaxy Nexus de Samsung— correría a cargo de LG y que había indicios de que ambas compañías estaban colaborando en algún proyecto.

Hoy, el rumor parece apuntar más hacia el ocio de salón, y es que tras la presentación de la Google TV de LG en el CES, se hace patente que los coreanos tienen una buena base de la que partir para poder ofrecer una experiencia Nexus a sus usuarios.

http://www.android.e...9#ixzz1jfAZx9I7

Esta noite foi nomeado o novo CEO da RIM, os accionistas deixaram finalmente cair o modelo de gestão bicéfalo que era a marca desta Admin.

O nome dele é Thorsten Heins

Thorsten_Heins.jpg

Mas isto é o que menos interessa...

Desde há um tempo para cá os OEM's e OS Makers perceberam que o caminho passará por dar cada vez mais apoio aos utilizadores e deixarem-nos, "mexer"(A Apple cada vez menos se preocupa com o Jailbreak, alguns Androids OEM's suportam unlocked bootloaders, muitos fabricantes de Hardware mandam cá para foras as libs, A microsoft erm... esse não conta :P )

Bem isto tudo para dizer que a RIM continuava no seu mundinho longe de tudo e de todos, até que hoje

Thorsten Heins' first official phone call as CEO of Research In Motion goes to... CrackBerry Kevin!

No BS.... at 9:36pm EST tonight, just minutes after the news became official that Thorsten Heins was appointed the new CEO of Research In Motion, my Bold 9900 rang with an incoming call from a 519 area code. Knowing 519 = Waterloo, I answered (good thing!), and within seconds was put through to none other than Thorsten Heins himself...

"Hi Kevin. I know you've been wanting this position for a while now, so I just wanted to let you know the news personally that I'm the new CEO of RIM..."

Seriously. I don't think I've ever quite felt so honored and completely speechless/stunned in my life, and in this case both happened at the same time. Thorsten and I spoke for a couple of minutes - I congratulated him and expressed my enthusiasm over the news. As you can imagine, he's in a whirlwind right now, so for him to take the time to reach out means a lot. And in talking to him it's clear that he is excited to lead Research In Motion and is as passionate about BlackBerry as I am. He also expressed his appreciation for our enthusiasam over BlackBerry and told us to keep it up (Absolutely!!).

It's hard to express just how big of a change this is for RIM. Let's put it this way. Since launching CrackBerry.com in 2007 I have been wanting to get an interview with RIM's CEOs. It has never happened. With Thorsten, it happened in literally minutes, and it was the CEO who made it happen, not the blogger. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Mike and Jim and all they have done for BlackBerry over the years, but it's clear that for BlackBerry to thrive again RIM needed a shake up, and I think Thorsten is going to do an amazing job leading the way.

• 2 weeks later...

provavelmente recordam-se de ter falado no "Project Majel" como esperança para 2012

Hoje vi num sitio qualquer este exemplo do que será o funcionamento, sinceramento não sei onde foi nem se será verdade, mas se for blink.png

Joe Schmo is trying to remember the name of the excellent Moroccan restaurant he visited last month while on a trip to Chicago. He is recommending this place to a friend traveling to Chicago next week.

Joe: “Majel?”

Majel: “Yes Joe?”

Joe: “What is the name of that Moroccan restaurant I went to in Chicago last month?”

Majel, having access to location data, (and possibly Google wallet) finds the only Moroccan restaurant you were near, based on your GPS data last month that only was in Chicago(logic qualifier.)

Majel “That would be the Andalous, Joe. Can I help with anything else?”

Joe “Send Jane an e-mail with the map and phone number”

Majel “E-mail sent, Joe. Can I help with anything else?”

Joe “Nope that’s it!”

Joe is now planning a drive up the West Coast from LA to Seattle, and he really loves his Starbucks. He also needs to stop every 200 miles to fuel up. He doesn’t want to waster anymore time than he has to.

Joe “Majel?”

Majel “Yes, Joe?”

Joe " I am driving to Seattle today, I want to stop by a Starbucks every other time I get fuel I also want to have lunch at Chipotle on the way up."

Majel “Thanks, Joe. Plotting Route…Done[Map with navigation opens up]”

Being an intelligent agent Majel would use Google Maps data to plot all gas stations and Starbucks on the way up, and lets him know as he approaches these spots with a verbal notification.

This will eliminate extra stops since Majel will have been setup to learn your mileage, even being able to warn you when you will be needing gas.

• 2 months later...

ARM Announces New Quad-Core A15 Hard Macro Chips

arm-cortex-a15.jpeg

Your phone/tablet is about to be outdated. But so goes the Android life, I suppose. It moves fast. A speed pushed forward by not only smartphone manufacturers, but chipset OEM’s as well.

Today, ARM has announced the next generation of their Cortext series chips with the first implementation of the A15 in a quad-core hard macro layout.

You may remember a few benchmarks a while back where Qualcomm’s dual-core S4 chipset (comparable to the A15 architecture) went up against the quad-core Nvidia Tegra 3 processor (based on the older A9 architecture) and in many cases, that little dual-core, based on a 28-nanometer process, bested the quad. Now, just imagine those benchmarks when you throw in a quad-core A15 into the mix and (shudder), I just got goosebumps.

Apparently, ARM has designed the new quad-core A15 for manufacturers to easily add to their chips with little fuss. No word on who will jump on this new tech (or even if we really need something so powerful in our tablets/phones) but here’s to hoping we see something soon.