Sangue Raro De Australiano Já Salvou 2,2 Milhões De Recém-Nascidos

X-static

James Harrison, um australiano detentor de um tipo de sangue raro, já salvou a vida de 2,2 milhões de recém-nascidos, incluindo o próprio neto.

O plasma sanguíneo de Harrison é usado como composto numa vacina que é administrada em grávidas, para evitar que os seus bebés desenvolvam a doença de Rhesus, conhecida como doença hemolítica, que tem como principal efeito a incompatibilidade entre o feto e a mãe – quando o sangue da mãe é do tipo Rh- e o do bebé Rh+.

O sangue de Harrison é, na verdade, o elixir da vida capaz de tratar essa condição, mesmo depois do nascimento da criança. O homem, de 74 anos ganhou, por isso, a alcunha de “o homem com o braço de ouro”. Tornou-se cobaia de pesquisas e testes que resultaram no desenvolvimento de uma vacina conhecida como Anti-D . O sangue do australiano foi considerado tão especial que lhe foi feito um seguro de vida no valor de um milhão de dólares australianos.

i

Brutal

Podiam é explicar o porquê da importância do sangue do homem na notícia. A vacina, digo eu, já existia antes do homem ter nascido.

As mães já há muito tempo que são acompanhadas para não obterem anticorpos anti-Rh. Só se o sangue dele for usado para casos em que a mãe já tem os anticorpos anti-Rh.

Neste caso, não aprendi qual era o procedimento, mas de certeza que a gravidez traria um bebé morto ou precoce.

Se encontraram a explicação digam que estou curioso.

Edited by Kopien

Não percebi, mas provavelmente o sangue dele tem os mesmos anti-corpos das mães mas que de alguma forma permitem combatê-los. De reparar que não é o sangue dele que previne mas sim a vacina.

Há dudes com sorte. Para além da gratificação de ajudar a salvar vidas todos os dias, tem tema de conversa para qualquer babe em qualquer lado.

Ehehe...grande..

Se ele fosse um pouco mais novo...com 74 anos ja deve ser dificil esticar o "braço"...

Edit: Afinal ja da sangue desde os 18

Edited by kito_pm

Mais completo.

james-harrison.jpg

James Harrison, the Australian record holder for most blood donations, made his 984th donation on Channel 7’s ‘Sunday Night’ program on 21 March.

James visits the Blood Service every fortnight and donates plasma. His plasma is specifically useful for the immunoglobulin which prevents Rh(D) negative women developing Rh(D) antibodies during pregnancy, which may harm unborn children.

His multiple donations have contributed to more than 1 million doses of Rh(D) immunoglobulin including, several years ago, treatment for his own daughter during her pregnancy.

During the program, James also took the time to sit with Channel 7’s Chris Bath, whilst she made her first blood donation.

“Pretty much everybody in the community has received something from the Blood Service,” says James. “So please, take the time, and give something back.”

‘Man with the golden arm’ saves 2million babies in half a century of donating rare type of blood.

An Australian man who has been donating his extremely rare kind of blood for 56 years has saved the lives of more than two million babies.

James Harrison, 74, has an antibody in his plasma that stops babies dying from Rhesus disease, a form of severe anemia.

He has enabled countless mothers to give birth to healthy babies, including his own daughter, Tracey, who had a healthy son thanks to her father’s blood.

Mr Harrison has been giving blood every few weeks since he was 18 years old and has now racked up a total of 984 donations.

When he started donating, his blood was deemed so special his life was insured for one million Australian dollars.

He was also nicknamed the ‘man with the golden arm’ or the ‘man in two million’.

His blood has since led to the development of a vaccine called Anti-D.

He said: ‘I’ve never thought about stopping. Never.’ He made a pledge to be a donor aged 14 after undergoing major chest surgery in which he needed 13 litres of blood.

‘I was in hospital for three months,’ he said. ‘The blood I received saved my life so I made a pledge to give blood when I was 18.’

Just after he started donating he was found to have the rare and life-saving antibody in his blood.

At the time, thousands of babies in Australia were dying each year of Rhesus disease. Other newborns suffered permanent brain damage because of the condition.

The disease creates an incompatibility between the mother’s blood and her unborn baby’s blood. It stems from one having Rh-positive blood and the other Rh-negative.

After his blood type was discovered, Mr Harrison volunteered to undergo a series of tests to help develop the Anti-D vaccine.

‘They insured me for a million dollars so I knew my wife Barbara would be taken care of,’ he said.

‘I wasn’t scared. I was glad to help. I had to sign every form going and basically sign my life away.’

Mr Harrison is Rh-negative and was given injections of Rh-positive blood.

It was found his plasma could treat the condition and since then it has been given to hundreds of thousands of women.

It has also been given to babies after they are born to stop them developing the disease.

It is estimated he has helped save 2.2 million babies so far.

One of the mothers he has helped is Joy Barnes, who works at the Red Cross Blood Bank in Sydney.

She has known Mr Harrison for 23 years but has only just told him she is one of the countless mothers he has helped.

Ms Barnes, who miscarried at four and five months before having treatment, said: ‘Without him I would never have been able to have a healthy baby.’

Speaking to Mr Harrison on an Australian TV show, she said: ‘I don’t know how to thank you enough.’

His own daughter, Tracey, also had to have the Anti-D injection after the birth of her first son.

She said she was ‘proud’ of her dad for continuing to give blood, even after the death of her mother after 56 years of marriage.

Mr Harrison said: ‘I was back in hospital giving blood a week after Barbara passed away.

‘It was sad but life marches on and we have to continue doing what we do. She’s up there looking down, so I carry on.’

Mr Harrison is expected to reach the 1,000 donation milestone in September this year.

Ainda não cheguei lá <_<

Mas em principio pela notícia ele é Rh- e consegue aguentar com transfusões com antigénio Rh, por alguma razão especial, produzindo os anticorpos que são depois são retirados do plasma e usados na vacina.

O caso especial dele será o conseguir produzir muito mais anticorpos que uma pessoa normal, estando imune a reacções dos seus anticorpos anti-Rh com o antigénio Rh, por algo no seu sangue, um anticorpo anti-anti Rh talvez :lol: que se active quando ocorre a reacção com o antigénio, o que não faz muito sentido.